While it’s definitely worth adding relevant and descriptive tags to your YouTube videos, it’s not something worth spending a lot of time on. YouTube themselves freely admit that video tags are unimportant compared to your video’s title, thumbnail, and description.
YouTube tags (also known as “video tags”) are words and phrases used to give YouTube context about a video. Tags are considered an important ranking factor in YouTube’s search algorithm. … But it’s important to use broad tags too. Broad tags help give YouTube important context about your video.
Tags can be useful if the content of your video is commonly misspelled. Otherwise, tags play a minimal role in your video’s discovery. Note: Adding excessive tags to your video description is against our policies on spam, deceptive practices and scams.
YouTube Tags Best Practices
- Make your first tag your target keyword and order the rest by importance. …
- Use some broad keywords that describe the overarching topic your video falls under as other tags. …
- Use some specific keywords that describe the topics you covered in your video as other tags.
How many tags should I use on YouTube? YouTube allows you to use as many tags as you would like as long as the total character limit across all tags is less than 400 characters (approximately). Generally, most videos should have 5-8 tags.
Top 100 YouTube searches in the US
YouTube doesn’t use tags anymore in 2021. Tags were often abused by creators so YouTube switched to AI to determine the content of a video together with your title, description and thumbnail.
How do I promote my YouTube channel?
How to promote your YouTube channel: 23 tactics that work
- Choose Google-friendly keywords. A great YouTube channel starts with great SEO. …
- Use concise, descriptive titles. …
- Create custom thumbnails. …
- Fill out your profile. …
- Optimize your descriptions. …
- Don’t forget about metadata. …
- Offer real value. …
- Create high-quality videos.
How to Put Tags on Your YouTube Channel
- Navigate to YouTube and sign in to your account.
- Click your username followed by “My Channel.”
- Click “Channel Settings.”
- Click “Info and Settings.”
- Enter your tags in the Tags field, separating each one by a comma. …
- Click “Done Editing” to save your changes.
How Do I Get More YouTube Views?
Here are 10 tips to help you get more views on YouTube this year:
- Make good content (that nobody else is making).
- Think in terms of series, not individual videos.
- Familiarize yourself with YouTube SEO.
- Link up with other content creators.
- Use cards and end screens.
- Write a blog post to accompany each video.
YouTube’s official guidance for tags is to “use the words and phrases that make the most sense for your video,” so it’s logical to start with your primary keyword. Second, add common, relevant keywords from top-ranking videos. You can use browser extensions like vidIQ and TubeBuddy to find these.
Tags can be useful if the content of your video is commonly misspelled. Otherwise, tags play a minimal role in your video’s discovery. Note: Adding excessive tags to your video description is against our policies on spam, deceptive practices, and scams.
Why Should I Use YouTube Hashtags? You should use hashtags on YouTube because they improve searchability. Optimized hashtags will give you more visibility on social media for all your related video posts. Using a hashtag will group keywords and related topics together, which makes it easier for a viewer to find.