What should alt text include?
Tips for writing ‘good’ alt text
- Be specific, and succinct. Describe the content of the image without editorialising. …
- Never start with “Image of …” or “Picture of …” …
- Use keywords sparingly. …
- Include text that’s part of the image. …
- Don’t repeat yourself. …
- Don’t add alt text to ‘decorative’ images.
How does alt text work on twitter?
When you Tweet photos using the Twitter app for iOS or Android, or on twitter.com, you have the option to compose a description of the images so the content is accessible to more people, including those who are blind or low-vision. … On the image, tap the +Alt button to insert descriptive text.
Is alt text important for SEO?
How Does Alt Text Impact SEO? We’ve already highlighted that setting alt text for images is very important for SEO and is a key contributing search engine ranking factor. Alt tags provide context to what an image is displaying, informing search engine crawlers and allowing them to index an image correctly.
When should you not use alt text?
3. Including alt text for decorative images or items. Decorative items such as dividers or design items that don’t provide additional context or content don’t need alt text. They don’t add to the information a user needs and they make little sense, or are unnecessary, when read with a screen reader.
Can you use punctuation in alt text?
Punctuation makes all text easier to understand and alt text is no exception. Screen readers pause for periods, semi-colons, commas, question marks, exclamation points, and paragraph endings. However, a screen reader may skip punctuation depending on the speed setting.
What is an alt account on Twitter?
‘Alt’ isn’t some fancy new website: as the name suggests, it’s simply an alternative account used by people who already tweet. 9 times out of 10 they’re locked and mostly anonymised, meaning the user has complete control over who sees their tweets.